Sid Mashburn Double Monk Strap

May 23, 2011

After a pair of the celebrated Sid Mashburn Double Monk Straps showed up on eBay last week, something awakened in the depth of my soul that told me, I need those shoes. The very idea that they were out there, available to possess, and not some ethereal footwear in a kingdom far, far away made me realize I could actually obtain a pair. Granted, I didn’t nab the eBay pair (not the right size) but the idea of owning a pair of shoes I have wanted for many moons made me ask, “Why not just order them?” So I did.

Being geographically impaired regarding Sid Mashburn’s location in Atlanta and given that their online shop isn’t launching until later this summer, I had to pick up the phone and place my order the old fashioned way. And honestly, I’m glad I had no other option, as I was reminded just how personal and engaging it is to order a product from folks who very much believe in what they are selling. After speaking with a well informed associate, I was encouraged to size down 1/2 size, which proved to be the right call. They arrived at my doorstep 2 days later and I have been celebrating ever since.

Sid Mashburn’s Double Monks are made in Northampton, England by Alfred Sargent who uses over 200 operations to produce these benchmade grade beauties. They are built with Goodyear Welt construction, are cap-toed with a burnished calf and have a one and a half sole. Though I’ve not had much time logged wearing them yet, I must say that I am astonished just how comfortable they are this early on in the break-in period. Easily one of the best footwear decisions I’ve made in all my life.

As outstanding as they look now, I can’t wait for what they will be in a couple of years. If you want to score a pair for yourself, give Sid Mashburn a call at (404) 350-7135 and join me in making one of the best footwear decisions you’ll make in all your life.

1. May 23, 2011 12:18 am

Those are a good look.

2. May 23, 2011 12:35 am

Sweet mercy. Those are the most handsome shoes I’ve ever seen. And they couldn’t have ended up in better hands. Well done, sir.

• May 23, 2011 9:14 am

Many thanks my friend. They are so beautiful, I almost don’t want to put my ugly feet in them, hahaha.

3. May 23, 2011 2:51 am

I’ve been meaning to kop a par off Taigan for a while now, but your conversation about sizing down was enlightening.

I’m guessing their shoes run 1/2 a size larger, then?

• May 23, 2011 9:22 am

Based on what the good people at Sid Mashburn informed me and my own experience, I would say that yes, they run 1/2 size large compared to other men’s dress shoes.

4. May 23, 2011 9:09 am

Absolutely amazing… Thanks for letting me live vicariously through your shoe purchases, J!

5. May 23, 2011 9:12 am

They look like dirty, sweet, smoky, caramel whiskey. Enjoy them thoroughly!

6. May 23, 2011 10:51 am

It’s always worth the investment to bite the bullet and buy quality when it comes to dress shoes. Those double monks are no exception. When they develop a nice patina, you should do another post highlighting the difference.

Once Sid’s e-commerce site goes live, I’m sure a lot of our wallets are going to be hurting.

7. May 23, 2011 12:32 pm

I’m glad no one started a flame war here over the shoes, because now I can.

JK. Those are nice shoes.

• May 23, 2011 1:19 pm

Hahaha. Hard to find anything wrong with these bad boys. If anything looks off, you can probably blame my photography skills before you could blame the footwear.

8. cooper permalink
    May 23, 2011 5:12 pm

I’m so jealous. Great post man.

9. May 24, 2011 6:03 am

Thanks for the great post. It took every ounce of my being not to leave the store with those. They are truly perfect…and judging by the look of them after they have been worn – only get better with age.

• May 24, 2011 9:25 am

Indeed my friend. After wearing ‘em to the office yesterday, I continue to realize what all the fuss is about. These are definitely a different level of footwear.

10. PAS permalink
    May 24, 2011 5:14 pm

Such a beautiful pair of shoes. These will remain one of my “go-to’s” when i’m lacking motivation during this 5-day-a-week summer calculus class i’m currently taking.

Now we just need to see the fit pictures. I’m sure this is already in the works.

Congratulations sir,

PAS

• May 24, 2011 7:29 pm

Thanks for the love. Fit pictures are certainly in the future.

Best of luck with the 5-day-a-week summer calculus class… sounds horrible.

11. May 25, 2011 2:56 pm

Very good move sir.

12. Greg permalink
    May 27, 2011 9:33 am

I have had a pair for two months or so. Absolutely the best shoes I have ever purchased — and I have an Imelda Marcos streak. And you are right about ordering by phone, which I did. At the close of the transaction, the associate said to me: “Wear the hell out of them!”

13. Hugo permalink
    June 1, 2011 8:18 am

Great shoes! I have a pair of my own (1 year)

• June 2, 2011 9:49 am

Awesome. How are they holding up after a year’s wear?

• Hugo permalink
        June 10, 2011 7:00 pm

They still look new. I wear them about 3 times a week. I have a thing for monk strap shoes.

1. weekend review (atlanta trip) « to take the train
  2. Sartorial Advent Calendar ’11 | Day 22 « A Headlong Dive.