Barbour Quilt Jackets A/W ’11

August 9, 2011

It’s never too early to begin pondering fall weather jackets. Who in their right mind doesn’t look forward to the crisp autumn days where one requires heavier material to keep him warm from the elements? Certainly it can be difficult to wrap one’s mind around such a purchase in the dog days of summer, but somehow dreaming of the cooler days ahead keeps me from overheating in this sweltering season.

As far as jackets go, look no further than Barbour. Though I already own a Barbour Beaufort, I have my eye on a quilted version to add to my jacket rotation. For A/W ’11 Barbour Heritage and Beacon Heritage (A limited edition collection created with Japanese designer Tokihito Yoshida) provide more than enough inspiration.

Faversham

Bant

Loach

Augustine

Beall

Moran

Akenside

Chelsea Polarquilt

Motor Bike Quilt Jacket

Sporting Wax Quilt

Sports Jacket

Sporting Quilt

1. August 9, 2011 6:18 pm

No love for the Liddesdale?

2. August 9, 2011 6:30 pm

Plenty o’ love for the Liddesdale but I was just showcasing the A/W ’11 Barbour Heritage and Beacon Heritage.

In actuality the Augustine and Sporting Quilt are variations of the Liddesdale. The only “Heritage” variation I didn’t include was the Track Quilt, which has a strange Snake quilt design.

3. Shawn permalink
    August 10, 2011 9:04 am

Rule #12.

4. August 10, 2011 11:16 am

J,

Thanks for the post. I’ve been looking for a field coat for the upcoming fall and winter here in San Francisco, and have been scoping out the Barbour (I like the one J. Crew has right now, which goes by “Bedale”). Do you have any other recommendations for similar coats? I have also checked out Filson but don’t know much about them.

Best,
    Danny

• August 10, 2011 12:16 pm

The Bedale is a great waxed jacket. Similar to the one I currently have (Beaufort) but the Bedale has a shorter length. If you are looking for something to battle extreme downpour or cold, I would recommend a waxed version, as it will give you more bang for your buck than the quilted variety.

I’m sure the Filson versions are great jackets, as I have had nothing but great experience with Filson products, but can’t say that I’ve owned any of their coats. They also seem to be a little less expensive, which could be enough to tip the scales. Their Cover Coat Weekender looks pretty enticing.

You might want to look into Belstaff. They too are a bit pricy but make some fantastic jackets.

For me, I would pony up the extra $$$ and stick with Barbour. I’ve never heard anyone who owned one say a disparaging word about them.

Best of luck!

• August 10, 2011 12:22 pm

Yeah, the waxed is a good choice for SF winters. It doesn’t get super cold, but it’s really wet. Nice use of “pony up” — I’ve always liked that one.

Do you ever wear the Beaufort over a suit or sport coat, or do you go more casual with it?

• August 10, 2011 3:25 pm

I live in reasonably warm weather for most of the year, so I’ve never really needed to layer up with the Barbour. In those rainy days in which I’m wearing a suit or sports jacket, I usually opt for the raincoat.

That being said, I’ve seen it done well and think that it could work with the sports jacket.

5. August 10, 2011 11:28 am

What do you think about this for the quilted spectrum this autumn

• August 10, 2011 12:18 pm

Cosign on all things Belstaff.

Don’t know if I would opt for the color black, but that is more of a personal preference.

6. August 10, 2011 5:31 pm

Great choices! It’s always important to look both fashionable and feel warm in the winter months. I’ll definitely show these coats to my guy friends!

1. Lightweight Barbour Liddesdale « A Headlong Dive.
  2. Lightweight Barbour Liddesdale « A Headlong Dive.